Thursday 31 December 2015

Building the foundation for a good year ahead!

Today I spent a really great day exploring the lovely town of Bury St. Edmunds with family. It was really bright and crisp weather - a change from the rain we've been having in Cardiff! And I was surprised to see lots of ancient ruins in the town - in the form of an old Abbey. As a history lesson from my uncle taught me - it was a pilgrimage site for Christians back in the day who were needing shelter along the way on their journey - I write this as I am now sheltering from the rain in central London! ☔️ 

I don't normally spend too long discovering the in depth history of a place - however, one thing that I really sensed in this particular place was an atmosphere of peace, happiness and tranquility. The gardens surrounding the Abbey are beautiful and the sun was beaming down on us. There were lots of families enjoying the gardens and the general atmosphere felt really blessed. As I wondered why this was, I began to realise that the ground I was walking on felt blessed. It was one of past worship, prayer and thanksgiving. It really struck me that the peacefulness and the history of the place were not unrelated links. 



As I ponder over the beginning of a New Year, I think about the plans, ambitions and goals that I have made for this year - and there are many! But one thing I really aim to make top priority is a foundation of prayer, worship and thanksgiving. You can't buy the kind of peace and beauty I sensed in the gardens this afternoon. This isn't meant to be a religious plug, but I sensed more than ever today that you can reap the benefits of a lifestyle of worship, thanksgiving and prayer - and you really do reap what you sow. "Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness." - Collosians 2:7 (The Bible) Have an amazing New Year celebration this evening, whatever you are doing, and be blessed! 💯

No comments:

Post a Comment